HORROR REVIEWS, NEWS and OTHER CRAP...

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

THE MANGLER REVIEWED

For one reason or another I never took the time to give "The Mangler" a chance, that is until yesterday. I'm not really sure why I skipped it for all these years I mean, Tobe Hooper directing a film based on a story by Stephen King has got to be worth a look at least no? Well whatever the reason, thanks to my buddy Matt(shloggs) I finally gave it a look, and really liked what I saw.

The basic story for the uninitiated goes like this... Several accidents occur at an industrial laundry facility, prompting an investigation led by Officer John Hunton(Ted Levine), looking into an old, speed folding machine that may or may not be possesed by a demon from hell. Officer Hunton uncovers a dark past in his little town, and it all ties back to the machine better known as...The Mangler!

First things first... I know this is a bad movie, I understand that. I will say however, that for it's entire run-time, I was thoroughly entertained by it. Tobe Hooper did something here that I think more B-movies could benefit from. He created a world that in spite of the absurdity behind the premise, had conviction and was 100% true to it's own reality. I truly love when a movie is successful at establishing a believable reality within the confines of it's own rules. I don't care how friggin' over the top or absurd the story and performances were here; I was able to accept them and suspend my disbelief because I was in the capable hands of a director who had a vision. From the truly outstanding, and in my opinion, underrated set designs(The interior and exterior of the laundry facility were both stunning) and camera work, to the tit-for-tat scene chewing between Levine and Englund(who plays the maniacal proprietor of the laundry facility), I was fully ready to boogie on down about a story of a laundry machine that is in need of an exorcism.

If I have any one big complaint, it's the same that could be said for a lot of King adaptions...the dreaded ending! Good god, the wind was sucked out of the sails in the last ten minutes of the film, as we are treated to a cg shit show of The Mangler coming to life ala the house in"Monster House" but not nearly as cool looking. Seriously though, I can forgive this as I have done with films like "It" in the past, because of how much enjoyment I got out of the rest of the film. It's not going to blow your mind, or make it to your top ten list anytime soon, but I will say that if you are looking for a really fun film that is different and features some great sets and masterfully over-the-top performances, then look no further.

This film could have easily been useless and disposable in lesser hands, but Hooper brings the chops to the table to present a really fun dish that I'm glad I finally got to check out. Thanks to shloggs for throwing a little film my way that I'm sure I will revisit again several times in years to come. For all of those laughing at me for throwing some praise at the film, keep in mind how truly silly and absurd the much revered "Return of the Living Dead" is, and remember the reason why we watch films like this, is to have fun and be entertained. For me "The Mangler" delivered in both departments!

3.5 out of 5

1 comment:

  1. Finally! The praise it's always deserved! Love reading your reviews man! Good times!

    ReplyDelete