HORROR REVIEWS, NEWS and OTHER CRAP...

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Monster-Mania Returns to NJ


This Friday kicks off Monster-Mania once again in Cherry Hill, NJ. I'll be doing some coverage of the convention for moviemassacre.com

I'm currently going through the usual preparation routine, getting together my posters to be signed, and doing a financial breakdown of the $20 average times the number of guests I would like to have sign crap. It's always the same routine with me...I'll commit to only spending a certain amount on autographs, and then I'll keep trolling the guest list and go back and forth with myself "Should I just say the hell with it and get Mark Patton's(Jesse ANOES 2) autograph? What if he never does a con on the east coast again? While I'm at it... I might as well get Kim Myers(Lisa ANOES 2) to signs something too. Maybe I can find an 8x10 with the two of them on it? Yeah that would be cool!" There goes another $40.

I don't know... I'm a collector so why the hell do I beat myself up about it? I might as well just accept the fact that for the rest of my life, I will be paying for crap that will get shoved into a drawer or a closet that will someday...wait for it...be "worth something". It's the justification that a junkie like myself keeps falling back on be it for dvds, or for an 8x10 of an actor who hasn't done a thing in twenty years, with the exception of wearing out thousands of sharpies.

I'm getting better though. Or at least I will be getting better about my spending habits after this con. After all, there's going to be a "My Bloody Valentine" reunion, and my original one sheet with all of that sweet black space around the miner's face is going to look awesome signed by nine cast members! $20 times 9 guests... A steal! Ther's also going to be a "Night of the Creeps" reunion! $20 times 4 guests, and probably an additional 8x10 from Tom Atkins. Oh and there's Gary Busey too! That "Silver Bullet" poster has been tucked away for quite some time, waiting for Gary and Corey to show their faces again. Gary is a marquee guest so I'm sure he'll be at the $30 mark. I don't know... God bless my wife for understanding. At least I don't smoke, saving some money there! Hahahah!!!

Be sure to check out moviemassacre.com after the con for a little write up.

2 comments:

  1. Us married nerds need count ourselves lucky to have found companions who so admirably cope with our horror collectible mania, a pastime that is childish at best and unhealthy at worst. I look forward to reading your con report my friend! As Sergio Stivaletti would say, "Good times!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah man, tell me about it... I have the hardest time justifying the autographs. A blu ray or dvd purchase is one thing, because I will always have the film there to enjoy and go back to. The movies are after all, the reason why I got into the collecting in the first place. The posters man, I don't know... They are great to have and all, but one can't possibly display more than 3 or 4 at a time in a reasonable way. I mean I'm at the point in my life where I don't want my house looking like a Bennigan's dining room. A theater room, well that's a different story...maybe down the line I'll have that as an option.

    I wonder if there are any romantic comedy nerds out there posting this very same thing about a Forgetting Sarah Marshall convention somewhere?

    ReplyDelete